Thursday, September 27, 2012

Our house is a very, very, very fine house: Sam Tung Uk Walled Village Museum

A few old Hakka walled villages around HK have been restored and turned into museums. Sam Tung Uk  was founded in 1786 and populated until 1980. Below is an aerial photo of the village from one of the museum placards.

It's now surrounded by the New Town suburb of Tsuen Wan, which a local acquaintance described as "the real Hong Kong," the sort of place where many (most?) ordinary residents live their lives, most tourists don't ever see and most movie crews never shoot. It at least looks marginally better than Tin Shui Wai where the Heritage Trail in my previous two entries starts.




Below, the exterior wall of the village-museum. The (slightly) old photo below that gives you an idea of how much the area around has changed in a short time, like much of the New Territories.














These strange door hinges that you find in a lot of traditional buildings always fascinated me:


And here is me in a Hakka women's hat. It wasn't my idea, the sign told me to try it out. I don't think it's really me.



No comments:

Post a Comment