Sunday, December 4, 2011

Arrival

This is the luggage tag a co-worker gave me as a parting gift.
It aptly expresses how I was feeling as I left for my trip.







I flew out at 1:20 a.m. on Friday Nov. 4, after a full Thursday of work, flew about fifteen hours and landed at 5:00 a.m. Saturday Nov. 5, HK time. Wish I'd remembered to get pictures of the inside of my Cathay Pacific flight, which was very nice, for economy. Anyway, here's HK International Airport, reputedly one of the very nicest in the world. So lots of niceness all around, so far.



Hong Kongers are a bit obsessed with hygiene. You would be too, if you'd been hit with SARS, bird flu and swine flu within a few years.



They're also a bit obsessed with Steve Jobs, like most of the rest of the world.




On the Airport Express train that goes to Hong Kong Island in about 20 or 25 minutes, passing through some of the more far-flung suburban areas along the way.










Below is the inside of the train. Public transportation in HK is very sleek and efficient and easy to use. And cheap. They have awesomely clear and rather pretty light-up maps of where you are and where you're going.





Upon arrival at Hong Kong station... here's one of the very clear and useful neighborhood maps they put up in the subway stations:


Below is the first thing I saw upon emerging from the station... the International Finance Center 2, second tallest building in Hong Kong, which I saw much more of, and so will you.


3 comments:

  1. Just wondering... did you see the "Relax, train will arrive in two minutes" sign at the airport? If so, am surprised you managed to resist the urge to take a photo of it! ;b

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I didn't! I surely would have snapped that one.

    Of course, we NYers started a few years ago to get electronic signs telling us when the next train was coming; but they're very matter-of-fact and don't have the grandparental tone so common to public transport signs in HK (like the posters with little McDull warning us to hang on to the rail while riding the escalator - I've got pics of those!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael --

    Here's a picture I snapped of the sign some time back:-
    http://webs-of-significance.blogspot.com/2008/08/relax.html

    It's actually been since updated to include the fine print that the train actually comes more often frequently than every two minutes... ;b

    ReplyDelete